Apple has been using cinematic techniques in their events and ads since 1984. Horace Dediu, Jason Snell, and John Gruber discuss the story Apple has told on screens for 30 years: one of engineering thriving on dynamic creativity.
- Horace Dediu runs Asymco and hosts The Critical Path.
- Jason Snell bleeds Six Colors, captains The Incomparable, and just started Upgrade and moved Clockwise to RelayFM.
- John Gruber is the Daring Fireball, hosts The Talk Show, and is 1/3 of Vesper, a great note-taking app.
- Symbolicons: 40% off any icon bundle with ESN1
- Harry's: $5 off with ELECTRIC
- Backblaze: unlimited, unthrottled backup for $5/month
- Iconic: $25 off Iconic Classic or Classic Plus
(Fair Use) Audio Clips - Video Library
- 1984, directed by Ridley Scott
- Apple Watch - Reveal
- Mac Pro - Cinema Ad
- New Coke (two ads in one), directed by Ridley Scott
- iMac - (She Comes in) Colors
- iMac - Jeff Goldblum: Email
- Ortega Tacos
- Gold iPhone 5s - Metal Mastered
- John Lasseter and Steve Jobs on Charlie Rose (1996)
- Steve Jobs introduces the Macintosh
Show Notes and Links
- The Making the New Mac Pro short is a great example of the industrial documentary style so often copied.
- Helvetica, Objectified, and Urbanized are all very, very well-made documentaries.
- More "Solid Goldblum": Beige and Three Pizzas.
- Three Steps couldn't be used because a version with decent audio couldn't be found in time.
- Exploding Tacos got you down? That purse just too confusing? Has your arm lost all ability to carry the weight of a chip bowl? Can't stop knocking over Cheetos? I...don't know what to tell you.
- My least favorite thing about the above-linked Charlie Rose interview is almost every minute of it that is not included in this week's show. Calm down, Charlie! Damn!
- Not used in the show proper, but still great: the original 2007 "Hello" teaser for iPhone.
- Creativity, Inc.
- Incomparable 197: Fail Fast (Creativity Inc.)
- When it posts within 24 hours of this episode, The Incomparable #212 will be the Toy Story-centric episode mentioned here.
- The introduction of the original iPhone.